Thursday, January 18, 2018 / by Susan Annis
Kids were out of school, businesses were closed, roads were icy and made for dangerous travels, and grocery stores had their bread and milk emptied off the shelves. That describes the last couple of snow days in Georgia. While we don’t know if more snow is in our future for 2018, we can almost guarantee that we will see some more temperatures reaching freezing and below. No one in Georgia seems to forget to stock up on groceries when snow is being called for, but it is also important to remember to take care of your home during the brutal winter days. Whether its snowing or not, freezing temperatures are hard on any home. We, at Susan Annis & Associates, want to remind all homeowners of some tips to keep your home protected during this time of year.
- To keep outdoor plumbing fixtures from freezing, shut off the water to outside spigots and then open them up to drain the lines
- Set your faucets to a slow drip when outside temperatures are expected to be below freezing to help prevent pipes freezing
- Keeping your garage door shut as much as possible can keep the freezing air out and help protect your water heater if in the garage and save $$$ on heating bills
- If you are going to be out of town during the freezing weather, you might want to consider turning off the water to your home altogether while you are gone
- Also, if you are going to be away from your home and think you want to save money by not running the heat while you’re gone, consider that not running the heat may increase the chances of your pipes freezing and bursting
We also want to remind you to protect our furry friends. When temperatures drop so low our outdoor pets can be in danger. Please bring in your animals or provide them with shelter and items to keep them warm during the extreme cold.
These are just a few friendly reminders from Susan Annis & Associates. We want everyone to be safe and look forward to the weather warming up and making the house hunting process more enjoyable for our clients. If you are looking to make a move, give us a call so we can provide the professional service you deserve whether it is time to buy or sell, or both.